029 | Impact-Driven Entrepreneurship with Jim CarterAug 10, 2022
In This Episode:
Jim Carter is an SEO expert and co-founder of Carter & Custer, an agency providing growth and content services for purpose-driven brands and organizations of all sizes.
As a self-proclaimed “recovering software engineer”, a young Jim had to force himself to cross the terrifying chasm between corporate America and entrepreneurship to get to where he is today. As a business owner, it isn’t pure profit that drives him, but the idea of leaving a legacy.
In today’s conversation, Jim shares why making an impact is his biggest driver as a business owner, coach, and philanthropist. He speaks in particular of his journey to becoming a board member at Pencils of Promise, as well as his thoughts on leading winning organizations.
He then talks about the keys to success in building an agency and other service-based businesses. These include the importance of shedding the “solopreneur” mindset and delegating tasks to the right people in your team, knowing your numbers, and ensuring your business has a worthy cause.
As always, cheers to your evolution!
- Scaling any business requires the entrepreneur – who has a tendency to do everything on their own – to embrace true leadership: to learn how to identify strengths and delegate tasks based on those strengths.
- Another commonly-overlooked factor by the visionary entrepreneur is their business’s finances. Knowing your numbers early on will save you a world of headaches later down the line as you grow the company. Specifically get clear on your: revenue, gross profit margin, net profit margin, and cash on hand.
- Get familiar with your role as an employer, particularly the legalities (both on the state and federal level) around hiring. This makes growth so much smoother in the long run.
- Want me to coach you over text? Text me on Tuesdays at 973-358-7836
- What is your coaching superpower? Take the FREE 60-second quiz here: jessglazer.com/quiz
- [14:20] – Why Jim is so driven by impact, and his work with Pencils of Promise;
- [22:51] – How Jim initially got involved with PoP;
- [34:02] – Advice on building an agency;
- [45:08] – The three most important considerations when scaling a business;
- [54:02] – Jim’s tech tip reels and other ways he repurposes valuable content;
- [59:19] – Rapid-fire questions.
- “Seeing the results of giving without expectations is just the most fun, ever.”
About Jim Carter
As a passionate Technology Coach, Jim Carter uses his 20+ years of knowledge, expertise, and experiences to advise Social Impact organizations, brands and experts. He is the co-founder of Carter & Custer, an agency providing growth and content services for purpose-driven brands and organizations of all sizes. He's an Eagle Scout, entrepreneur, husband and father of two, public speaker & trainer in the industry. Jim resides in the Los Angeles Area, enjoys a fine cup of coffee, the occasional glass of whiskey and rocks a mustache with pride.
Connect with Jim
Connect with Jessica