06 | Why You Don't Need More CertificationsApr 27, 2022
In this episode of The Digital Business Evolution Podcast, Jess shares how the topic of certifications can be a controversial one and suggests it ends up holding many entrepreneurs and coaches back in their business. The idea of obtaining certification first and then starting business second doesn’t always make the most sense. While Jess notes the importance of a proper certification, she also breaks down the idea that the foundations of your business should come first and then you can focus on gaining your certification. Jess further explains that entrepreneurship is similar to gardening; without nurturing a garden you cannot expect it to grow and the same is the truth in your business, it cannot grow properly without proper nurturing. With a focus on certification rather than business first, entrepreneurs limit their impact to their audience and hinder their business opportunities. Jess suggests that building your business should happen *while* getting your certification at the same time to build the know, like and trust factor.
When we put the focus of building a business on a solid foundation first while we get certified, this opens the door for many opportunities to come into your business. Ideas of content to create so you can build your authority to your audience is a positive consequence when you have prioritized the business first. When your audience recognizes you as the expert that you are, it will automatically separate you from the rest of the crowd and your business will flourish!
As always, cheers to your evolution!
- “Because the thing that actually takes a longer amount of time is the business-building stuff—it’s the foundations, it’s the relationships, it’s the brand awareness.” –Jessica DeRose
- “A certification often takes a weekend, it might be two hundred hours, it might be a week-long retreat, it might be a three-month, six-month, nine-month class—but realize if you’re waiting for that weekend, that week-long retreat, or that six month/nine month class, you’re putting your business off that amount of time PLUS another three, six, nine, months of building.” – Jessica DeRose
- “So now you’ve just put yourself back a year and a half, two years, eighteen months, six months—whatever it might be—because you’re waiting for this piece of paper.” –Jessica DeRose
- [0:46] – Introduction of today’s episode;
- [2:07] – Jessica’s history with certifications;
- [3:12] – Building your business vs. getting certified;
- [4:40] – What it requires to build a business;
- [7:00] – Jessica’s take on how certifications relate to business;
- [8:37] – Building a business is like gardening;
- [9:58] – Get certified while building your business;
- [10:26] – Getting certified on the backend of your business leads to opportunities;
- [11:16] – Episode 2 referenced of being the expert in your field;
- [12:25] – Effects of putting certifications before your business;
- [13:00] – Recap & 3-Day Live Experience
- Enroll in E+mpower
- Be a part of my text family by texting “Podcast” to 973-358-7836.
Connect with Jessica