013 | Navigating Negative Thoughts and Limiting BeliefsJun 10, 2022
In this episode, Jess is dropping some major truth bombs on how to navigate negative thoughts and limiting beliefs– because, as Jess says throughout the episode, we ALL have them. The first thing that Jess makes sure to point out is that negative thoughts are not something we should strive to get rid of. These thoughts and beliefs are instinctual in us and actually fall into our reptilian brain’s fight or flight response. So, since we cannot get rid of them, what do we do? We *manage* them. To do this, Jess explains the key is being self-aware.
Jess gives some practical advice on how to manage these negative thoughts and limiting beliefs once we have become aware of them. First, Jess suggests seeing Impostor Syndrome as a feeling rather than a sickness– a feeling of being a newbie. Being a beginner at something is far less paralyzing than being a fraud because it implies that we can grow and gain confidence in what we are trying to do.
Next, when the feelings of “I can’t” start to creep in, try and look for evidence of someone else accomplishing what you want to achieve. This leads to the next topic of discussion of using the lens of a third party to attach the negative chatter in your brain to. When we create this character in our mind, it automatically detaches the negative thoughts and creates distance. The same happens when we ask these two questions: Is it true? Is it absolutely true? When these questions are answered, we can then ask ourselves, ‘Is it ever true?’
Our brains and egos use our negative thoughts to keep us safe. Rather than try to erase these thoughts and beliefs, we can manage and leverage them to propel our businesses forward.
As always, cheers to your evolution!
- “We are meaning-making machines, and when something doesn’t make sense to us, our little, tiny human brain likes to make it mean something.” –Jessica DeRose
- “It’s when you can become aware of self– and what is going on inside of you and outside of you– that things start to become neutral.” –Jessica DeRose
- “It’s not rejection that we’re scared of, but we’re scared of what we’ve made that mean about us.”--Jessica DeRose
- [0:46] – Introduction of today’s episode;
- [1:42] – New levels, new devils. We all have negative thoughts and limiting beliefs, no matter our experience;
- [2:40] – 80% of our thoughts on a daily basis are negative;
- [5:20] – An example of how our brains make sense out of rejection in business;
- [7:56] – Having self-awareness is everything;
- [9:26] – Impostor syndrome is really just a feeling of being a fraud;
- [11:01] – Reframing feeling like a fraud to feeling like a beginner;
- [12:30] – Learn more about Beyond 6 Figures;
- [17:17] – Feelings of ‘I can’t’;
- [17:48] – Using evidence from others to prove whatever you want to achieve can be done;
- [18:56] – The comeback rate;
- [21:26] – When dealing with negative thoughts and limiting beliefs, ask yourself: Is it true? Is it absolutely true?;
- [23:21] – Revisiting being a meaning-making machine and the idea of rejection;
- Be a part of my text family by texting “Podcast” to 973-358-7836.
- Beyond 6 Figures: https://www.jessglazer.com/beyond-6-figures
About Jessica DeRose
Jessica DeRose is an entrepreneur and business mentor, who helps coaches build profitable online businesses. After quitting her 8-year career as an elementary school teacher and creating a multiple 7-figure business herself, Jessica is here to unlock doors you didn’t even know existed.
Connect with Jessica